Daikatana Deathmatch (DKDM) Readme
Version 1.2.2: 1/09/2007
Please note: This is a non-profit, fan made multiplayer modification of Daikatana, and assumes that the downloader already owns a LEGITIMATE FULL VERSION of the game. However, DKDM is modified in such a way where single player maps and music CANNOT be played without files which are only accessible with a full copy of Daikatana.
Daikatana Web Links
Firstly, this modification was intended solely for our own personal use, since we own the game. Only when we shared the idea with a few people in the community (with positive feedback) did we consider releasing it to the public.
The idea came about during one night of Daikatana deathmatching, when the question was asked: "I wish you could install multiplayer only". And here it is: DKDM. This modification incorporates only the multiplayer aspect of Daikatana (32 maps of carnage featuring deathmatch, CTF and deathtag - with support for community created multiplayer maps), and has been heavily butchered to remove ANYTHING which isn't used in multiplayer to make it as small as possible. As a result, the game now takes up a very reasonable 255 MB of HDD space when fully installed (114 MB compressed).
With the "DaikatanaDM v1.2.1-v1.2.2" upgrade patch, DKDM now includes 18 user created maps on top of the existing 32 Ion Storm maps. Upgrade included, the game weighs in at 305 MB fully installed (126 MB compressed).
Also, DKDM has an additional PAK (pak5.pak) which contains a "mplayer demo" modification. When activated, Daikatana is turned back in time to how the game looked like circa March 1999, when the initial mplayer only demo was released. The "mplayer demo" PAK contains skins, textures, interfaces, sounds, effects and loadscreens from the mplayer demo, and recreates as accurately as possible (except game physics) the mplayer demo audio and visual experience.
One of the aims in releasing DKDM is to get Daikatana's multiplayer out there to people who were turned off first time around and missed out on the speed and action of Daikatana multiplayer. Even in single player - it isn't all just frogs, guys.
DKDM requires a minimum
configuration consisting of:
Back to top
- Pentium 233 or equivalent
- Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/Vista
- 32 MB RAM
- 255 MB uncompressed HDD space
- 50 MB additional uncompressed HDD space ("DaikatanaDM v1.2.1-v1.2.2" upgrade patch)
- DirectX 6.0 or higher
- 4 MB OpenGL compliant video card
- 4x CD-ROM (for CD music)
- 100% DirectX-compatible sound card
- Keyboard and Mouse
Version 1.2.2: 1/09/2007 ("DaikatanaDM v1.2.1-v1.2.2" upgrade patch)
- Tweaked DKDM Launcher to include public/private dedicated server and port configuration options
- Added petroid's "server_restart_manager.bat" which automatically restarts server in the event of a process crash. Built into DKDM Launcher when dedicated server is run
- Added all 8 maps from "Daikatana User Maps Pak 1", circa November 2000 (ALL credit goes to the creators as listed)
- E1-2001 Lunar Arena (DI-Smover)
- E1-Slipgate Central [Quake] (Dr. Foxy)
- E1-Man in High Castle (DI-Smover)
- E2-Canyon Chaos (Dr. Foxy)
- E2-Poseidon (Dr. Foxy)
- E3-King of the Hill (DI-Smover)
- E4-Nizcorpses [Shogo] (Dr. Foxy)
- E4-Daikatana Forever (Lord Killer)
- Added 10 additional user maps with minor changes as indicated (ALL credit goes to the creators as listed):
- E1-DMLight [Heretic 2] ([QE]Destroyer and DI-Smover)
- E1-Skyline (DI-MeisterM)
- Removed "spawn with all weapons" system, added "info_player_start", added weapon, ammo, powerup and health items, edited exploding wall, added decorative lighting, added more health points to dragon statues
- E1-Dead Simple [Doom 2] ([S.F.C]RGRebel)
- E1-Gibcity Arena [gibcity5] (Wayne W. Smith "AKA [21+]Sarge")
- Replaced "tekwallmulti_wrn2dk.wal" texture, map build remains the same
- E2-Discus Arena ([S.F.C]RGRebel)
- Removed fog over lava, added lava animation, removed clipping which appears behind push wall, added breakable beam on upper level near map boundary
- E3-Notre Dame ([S.F.C]RGRebel)
- E4-SS7 (Original) (Ion Storm and [S.F.C]Sarge)
- E4-The Edge [Quake 2] (DI-Smover)
- Removed 1vs1 spawn point/teleport system, added spawn points where teleport destinations used to be, fixed incorrectly textured step in outdoor area
- E4-Hotstreet ([S.F.C]RGRebel)
- HEX edited "info_player_start" and "info_player_deathmatch" spawn flag values to "0" to prevent server crash when frag/time limit is reached
- E4-Gibcity Base [gibcity2] (Wayne W. Smith "AKA [21+]Sarge")
- Added lighting to very dark lower level entryways, added lighting to very dark underwater corridor in rocky pool, reduced size of wall trigger button, aligned hosportal to wall
- In total, added 18 user maps on top of the existing 32 Ion Storm maps, taking the total map count to 50
- Created and added "Daikatana-DKDMv1_2_2.qtmp" Qtracker map shot pack for all maps included in DKDM. Used DI-MeisterM's map shot pack as base. To install, double-click the ".qtmp" file if Qtracker is installed
- Added previously deleted skin "m_column.wal". Skin used in user map "Gibcity Arena" (gibcity5.bsp)
- Added "example_deathmatch_server.cfg"
- HEXed "katanadm.exe" to fix Ripgun ammo being prompted as "slugs" when acquired. Changed to a more generic name for ammo prompt message since oddly the Ripgun and Slugger ammo use the same message
- Added replacements for "default.cfg", "current.cfg" and "curcfg.cfg" configuration files. New files have more sensible key configurations and game settings as opposed to the pure default configuration settings from the Daikatana CD
Version 1.2.1: 29/04/2007 (initial release)
- Applied English patch v1.2
- Added official Ion Storm Daikatana map pack
- Applied v1.2 texture fix to fix incorrectly dimensioned textures
- Removed all music
- Removed unneeded single player maps, monster models, skins and sounds. All textures have been retained
- Additional texture fix for e2ctf2 which was not fixed in texture fix above. Used a replacement image simply to make the map complete
- Added textures for e4m5, e3m1c which were not in the correct texture directory for the respective maps
- HEX edited katanadm.exe to remove all single player and co-op menu references and links
- HEX edited katanadm.exe to edit a couple of "death taunts". e.g. "player's skull appears to be cracked open" is now "player cratered"
- Edited skill images so they don't appear in the single player option
- Removed all mplayer images and links from multiplayer menu and replaced with more suitable content
- Added "DKDM Launcher" which allows user to select character and config to use (also changes arm skins according to character selected)
- Added different "arm" skins for each character, based on each characters default skin. Superfly now has dark skin with long gloves and Mikiko has lighter skin with shorter gloves (best viewed at FOV 90)
- Fixed menu skins to hide menus which are not associated with multiplayer
- Used DI-MeisterM's "mplayer demo mod alpha 3" as basis for PAK (thanks Martin). Brings most of the sounds, textures, statusbars and other bits and pieces in from the mplayer demo
- Sliced and added "classic" character trio image for console and loadscreen backgrounds
- Fixed mplayer demo "bright" menu font (had to painfully edit it - copy paste copy paste, pixel by pixel - but it looks and works great)
- Replaced Venomizer shoot and activate sound with a far less annoying sound from the PAK
- Muted player freezing sound when hit by Kineticore
- Muted player sounds when a door will not open
- Muted boost effects to remain consistent to the demo
- Sidewinder skin is now 100% identical to the mplayer demo sidewinder when used with the retail Daikatana model (except for the weapon handle, but it's hardly worth mentioning)
- Created and added demo style CTF and inventory HUDs
- Although pointless, added green pause image. It was an unused image in DK retail PAK, and fits the mplayer demo look
- For completeness, changed preview image of statusbar visibility in options to conform to the mplayer demo statusbar appearance
- Particle fix (hosportal and item regeneration now with blue stars instead of white to align with mplayer demo). Does not fix smoke trails as changing will result in ruining other particle effects such as the Trident and waterfall effects
- Fixed menu skins to hide menus which are not associated with multiplayer
- Added alternate Kineticore weapon skin
- Modified and added C4 Vitzatergo mplayer demo skin
- Sliced mplayer Shotcycler reload .wav - sound was too long and made other sounds out of sync when used in retail Daikatana
downloaded "DaikatanaDM_v1.2.1.exe" file and it will guide you through the installation
procedure. The .exe has been built as a self-extracting archive for the ability to be extracted without installation.
To upgrade to version 1.2.2 from version 1.2.1, run the downloaded "DaikatanaDM_v1.2.1-v1.2.2.exe" patch file and it will guide you through the upgrade procedure. Make sure you browse to the root directory of your existing Daikatana installation, and be sure to select "Yes" to overwrite any existing files when prompted. The .exe has been built as a self-extracting archive for the ability to be extracted without installation.
Note: DaikatanaDM v1.2.2 upgrade patch can be applied to the complete retail version of Daikatana to gain access to the user maps included. After installation, delete the following files ONLY if applying the patch to the complete retail version of Daikatana:
Back to top
The following are the steps in preparing DKDM before playing:
- Create a shortcut to "katana_launcher.exe" on your desktop or Start Menu. The DKDM Launcher is the main loading tool of the modification, as it allows you to assign your character, select config, choose mode of play and enter command line tools before loading the game. Using the launcher also allows the arm skins to correctly display depending on the character, when the game is loaded
- In the DKDM root directory, browse to "\data" and make a copy of default.cfg, keeping the copy in the same directory. Rename the copy to an appropriate name (skip this step if you already have a config you would like to use)
- Open "katana_launcher.exe"
- Select your preferences, command line options and config file in the launcher. Note: If you have an existing config, be sure to put it in the root "\data" folder in your DKDM install directory, and DO NOT set the config to read-only. To see your newly added config, you must reopen the launcher
- Click "Launch"
- Select the "Multiplayer" menu to get started
Note: If you change character in the game, the character arm skins will not change. You will remain with the character's arm skin which you chose when you launched DKDM from the launcher. For a "proper" character change, you must exit the game and start from the launcher again. It's the best that can be done without the source code. Also, when using an "autoexec.cfg" config, your character will NOT change to the character selected in the launcher. Rather, the character to be used will be retained from the existing character value in the config executed in "autoexec.cfg"
Simply delete the folder where you installed the game to.
DKDM concept, modification and patch by The EO and petroid
Readme by The EO
Back to top
- DI-MeisterM: for miscellaneous files, user map source files, testing, feedback, hosting and publicity
- John Romero: for the game, hosting and publicity
- zeus: testing and feedback
- Mappers DI-Smover, Dr. Foxy, Lord Killer, [QE]Destroyer, Wayne W. Smith "AKA [21+]Sarge", [S.F.C]RGRebel, [S.F.C]Sarge
- Everyone on rome.ro GameTalk who gave feedback and suggestions
- The folks who still host public Daikatana servers, giving us a place to play
For bug reports, feedback or requests, you can contact us via the rome.ro GameTalk Forums - usernames "EO" and "petroid".
Back to top
Romero's Daikatana page
Back to top